Wednesday, December 10, 2014

EME2040: A Reflection

Prior to the taking this class I had no idea what a Web 2.0 tool was! I had heard of them, of course I have, but I did not even know they were referred to as Web 2.0 tools, nor had I imagined being able to effectively use them! At the beginning of this class I was very intimidated by the idea of expanding my technological knowledge. I have read many blogs post by others; I had not ever attempted writing my own, until this class. I have learned so very much over the semester and feel quiet accomplished with what I can now do using technology. I am confident that what I have learned in EME2040 has created a strong foundation for me to continue exploring technology and its usefulness in my future classroom.

Wordle: Untitled Early in the semester, I shared my feelings on Marc Pensky's theory of digital natives versus digiatal immigrants:  Marc Pensky classified technology using individuals into two groups: digital natives and digital immigrants. Digital natives are young people, born after 1980 and grew up using all the interactive technology available. Digital immigrants are older adults who are learning later in life how to use all the technologies of today.  By Pensky’s definition I should be considered a digital native, by birth rights I suppose, having been born in 1985, however, as the introduction of new technologies continue to surface, I often feel more like a digital immigrant. In today’s society, children are confident in their ability to use technology. They often seem comfortable using technology because it has been such a significant part of their lives since birth. Integrating technology into the classroom seems logical and necessary since most children have a well-established preexisting knowledge of technology and value their multi-media talents.  Digital immigrants, or those of us like myself who are a combination of both worlds, may not have such a well-rounded preexisting knowledge.
Through out this semester I have really gained confidence in my ability to adapt to the ever changing technologies and my ability to learn how to apply new (or new to me) technologies to role as an educator. I'm more excited now, than intimidated, to use the tools available to me enhance learning for my students and myself. I am now a bit more well-rounded when it comes to preexisting knowledge about technology!

One of my favorite lessons this semester in EME2040, was the creation of the WebQuest. I had not even heard of a WebQuest prior to this class! Not only was it fun to make (much more fun than typing up a lesson plan using a word processor) I imagine they are fun for students to complete as well! I asked my ten year old son to complete my WebQuest I created, just for fun, and he said it was "cool!" I hope my future students agree with my son, as I definitely look forward to using WebQuest as tool for enhancing lessons! I also enjoyed working on the collaborative Wiki. Wikis make for great group projects as each student is responsible for their assigned topic or page within the wiki. I enjoyed doing this project in the class. The collaborative lesson plan was much more difficult to do as group. Our final product was still good but the production process was sloppy. It was difficult to correspond via email, and text as we all had varying schedules. If I could do it over again, I would like to have assigned sections of the lesson plan for each student in the group from the beginning. Perhaps, in my opinion, having my first attempt ever at creating a lesson plan, and one infused with technology, as a collaborative assignment was more difficult than if I could have done it on my own for the first time. That is likely the only change I would suggest as for the class assignments.

I am so glad I was able to take this class this semester. I appreciate the value of technology and the implications of infusing it into the classroom much more now. I am much less intimidated now about exploring and implementing technology into my future classroom, I''m actually quiet excited about doing so!


Resources:

Maloy, R., O’Loughlin, R., Edwards, S., & Woolf, B. (2013). Transforming Learning with New Technologies. 2nd Edition. 

No comments:

Post a Comment